[aprssig] APRStt for SAR usage?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun May 17 10:46:35 EDT 2009

> When I first read your web page
> a few days ago I thought this [SAR]
> was an excellent use of APRtt.  We
> use MGRS [in Canada] which is usually
> a 8 digit string and we do use
> numeric Team numbers

Peter,

Would you consider helping to write a users guide for your application?  It would read better if it was written by someone who does SAR routinely to make sure it had the right approach.

In other words, describe how you think the teams would be briefed to use this capability at a typical SAR event. For example, within the SCENE of the SAR, are all 8 digits really needed, or is maybe the most significant digit always the same within a given SAR field area?

My thoughts are that voice comms are very important, and so we might not want to do the DTMF on the voice channel.  The idea would be to put the APRStt input channel in the CALL channel of all HT's.  To make a DTMF report, the team momentarily QSY's to the CALL (APRStt channel) listens for 3 seconds (to make sure it is not in use) and then sends his report, and listens for the "R" in CW, or Voice ack and then returns to his assigned voice channel?