[aprssig] HF/VHF APRS/Packet & "Big Screen" TV's

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Thu May 7 09:42:23 EDT 2009

Was about to say, you stand more chance of the TV QRM'ing the radio,
than the other way round.

Plasma TV's can be particularly bad at HF, LCD's less so (though not
silent!)

Since the adoption of EMC spec's regarding emmissions, most makers have
found the limit to their advantage, resulting in *More* uninteded
emissions than otherwise you might expect.   But under the test limit...

Whatever you do, if you use HF, do not deploy any power line home
network devices. (This is *Not* the same as PLA via the power
distribution grid.)  Even HPA devices are bad, UPA are unbelivable,
chattering away even when there is no data to send.   It's a *Huge*
problem over hear in the UK/EU at the moment.   And sadly unlikely to
get much better I suspect.   Interestingly, despite being unable to meet
the EMC regs, as a result of the laws of physics etc, they have been
released onto the market by a political decision, as much as anything
else.

See www.ukqrm.org for a warning of what could come down your street....
Minimal problems on VHF from these, but in the future?....

Regards.

Dave G0WBX.