[aprssig] Looking for an appplication ?

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed May 6 11:01:42 EDT 2009

Yeah, this seems to surprise a lot of people outside the US.  Even if
you've got an unlocked GSM phone (I use an old quad-band Motorola V400
when I travel) it's a pain.  The local T-Mobile store didn't even know
HOW to sell me a prepaid SIM, and the card itself, without service, was $30.

At the AT&T store down the street I paid about $25 for the card and
service, and it took about 10 or 15 minutes of paperwork and activation
calls.  In contrast, in Hong Kong, getting a SIM card with cheaper rates
required a 20-second cash (HKD $90, under $12 US) transaction, and
another 30 seconds of trying to get the thing out of the shrink wrap.
Activated automatically on the first call.  In Bangkok I think I
actually had to sign something, but I've been told that at 190 baht
($5.40 US) I got ripped off and should have waited until I left the
airport to get a better rate!

Everyone over there seemed horrified by the idea that buying a phone in
the US typically involves signing a 2-year service contract.  And I
think they're right.

Scott
N1VG