[aprssig] (OT) GPS automobile navigator suggestions/recommendations?

Dennis W. Farrell / W6DWF dennisw.farrell at verizon.net
Thu Mar 26 16:45:18 EDT 2009

I'm in the market for a GPS navigator for my vehicle(s) and would like
to tap into the expertise of this group. I've been reviewing GPS's at
Amazon and several manufacturer's sites.  The result is that I can't
find the information I want, and I'm discouraged by the negative
comments as to quality.  Sooo - I'm looking for help.

Criteria:
4.3" touch screen (is there a good argument other than price for a
smaller screen?)
Adequate storage for growing map storage size over time
Internal battery operation for a couple of hours
Voice turn-by-turn directions
Capability to enter and navigate to Lat-Long positions
Blue-tooth, jpg, .mpg capabilities of no interest
Use of topo as well as road/street maps is of interest
Ability to do routing on a computer, then load route to gps is of interest
A manufacturer/seller who understands the meaning of "customer service"
Price around $150 desired.

Since this is OT, rather than take list bandwidth, please reply directly
to me.  If I get enough response, I'll summarize back to the list.

Thanks  --  dwf