[aprssig] Appalachain Trail Golden Packet Event update

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Mar 23 14:09:59 EDT 2009

Appalachian Trail Golden Packet Event: 18 or 19 July
See www.aprs.org/at-golden-packet.html

Now that I have learned how to use Google Earth for ray-tracing,
I have developed a draft plan for the Digipeater hop Northward
from Central VA to then end of the trail in Maine.  The 800
miles takes 10 hops as summarized below.  And you can see the 3D
path images now on the above web page...

110 mi - Apple Orchard VA to Little Sluce Mountain WV, 110 miles

 70 mi - Little Sluce Mountain to Maryland Mtns, 70 miles
 70 mi - Maryland Mtns to GD Hill PA
 78 mi - GD Hill to Camelback PA
 97 mi - Camelback PA to Sugarloaf-NY
 61 mi - Sugarloaf to MT Greylock
 48 mi - Greylock to N1NCI-3 digi in NH
100 mi - N1NCI-2 to Mt Washnington
 71 mi - Mt Washington to Sugarloaf KQ1L-7
 91 mi - Sugarloaf (KQ1L-7) to Mt Katahdin

Unknowns are whether there are accessible areas on Little Sluce
Mountain WV, and the Sugarloaf Mountain in NY?  Can anyone
elaborate?  Also anyone with any local input on these sites or
on any existing digipeaters at these sites etc will be usefull..

Also, I need a better email address for KQ1L, since the QRZ one
is not working.

And of course, we need APRS volunteers for all of these sites
and more. From here south should not take as many hops since the
mountains are higher (maybe?).

Bob, Wb4APR