[aprssig] KC2TUA/KC2UFG Ballon QRM

Wes Johnston, AI4PX wes at ai4px.com
Mon Mar 23 12:46:35 EDT 2009

I've got to weigh in on the part of this partaining to the repeater input.
A 147.000(-) repeater is a nonstandard split.  We used to use 146.46 as
simplex only to find out that there is a 147.06 repeater around Shelby NC
that uses 146.46 as the input.  I can remember being quite upset that they
were aggrivated with us for walking all over their (non standard) repeater
input.  Although this is a subject for different reflector, me thinks groups
like SERA should cull the list of paper repeaters to free up frequency pairs
so these folks wouldn't have to use the non standard splits to start with.

AHEM... however due to this nonstandard split where the input frequency
CLEARY falls in the simplex portion of the band, I'd say the burden here is
on the repeater owner to use PL tone input to protect from encroachment
simpex users (and in this case 1200 AFSK packet).

Wes