[aprssig] APRS in Garmin

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Tue Jun 30 17:23:59 EDT 2009

I sent an email to Garmin about the APRS integration issue some months
ago, I have a GPSMAP60CS which has the duplicate/multiple waypoint issue.

The $GPRMW is a waypoint update sentence, you still need to create the
waypoint first.
This can be done when the APRS receiving system you are using first
powers up and receives an APRS station frame (my HamHUD does this very
well), but what happens when that "new" waypoint still exists in the GPS
from a previous session? Will there be a duplicate waypoint created
which will then be updated with the $GPRMW message?
And then you will still need to delete old information somehow, is there
a delete waypoint message? Can a waypoint be created with a time limit?
This would be ideal as your GPS display would then only keep relevant
and recent received APRS info in it's memory.

Michael.
VK5ZEA