[aprssig] APRS at FD '09 in NH

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Mon Jun 29 12:39:15 EDT 2009

Fred Eckert wrote:
> I have to chime in here. As a new ham and new  APRS user I am having a difficult time getting documentation and instructions on how to achieve even the most basic APRS functions with my Yaesu VX-8 HT.
>
> I visited a field day event here in central Florida and had my first exposure to psk-31. After seeing how to make a contact. I thought about doing an APRS contact with my rig. I fiddled with the messaging menu thought about sending a message to CQ. Then realized I have no idea how to send a CQ  broadcast via APRS.
>
> The manual included with my radio does not cover how to send or receive bulletins. It just has the bare minimum of instruction on how to beacon and. How to send station to station messages.
>
> Is their a newbie's guide to APRS out there somewhere? Please help!
>
> Thanks, Fred KJ4LFJ

To send a message to CQ just enter "CQ" as the callsign. This goes for
ALL,CQ and QST wich i belive the VX8 can receive.

To send to bulletins you do the same but with the "callsign" as "BLN1"
BLN2 og BLNA BNLB etc

The WX8 can not receive the BLNxxx or NWS messages.

I always recomend people reading the aprs protocol. You don't have to
fine read it just browse trough it to see the possibilities.

ftp://ftp.tapr.org/aprssig/aprsspec/spec/aprs101/APRS101.pdf

wiki: http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Main_Page

web: www.aprs.org

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA