[aprssig] aprssig Digest, Vol 60, Issue 25

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jun 25 14:42:02 EDT 2009

G0JXN Jim wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Stephen
>
> You miss my point. Yes FSK only has one carrier as does FM but APRS
> effectively has two. So can Carson's rule be applied to a two carrier
> system?

What do you mean by "APRS effectively has two carriers"???

APRS is an application of standard AX.25 packet.       In turn, 300 baud
HF packet uses standard FSK (like classic RTTY). In fact, often the
identical FSK keyer circuits or AFSK tone generators are used for both
PACKET and RTTY.

The only differences are that the customary shift on RTTY is 170 Hz vs
200 for packet, and that the symbol rate is 300 bps for packet vs 45 bps
for classic RTTY.     [The AEA PK-232 even "cheated" and used the
identical 190 Hz "split-the-difference" shift for both modes....]

I suppose one way around your Offcomm's picky-picky rules about occupied
bandwidth would be to reduce the FSK shift on packet from 200 Hz to the
standard 170 used on classic RTTY.

2 (150 bps + 85 peak dev) =  470 Hz bandwidth for 98% of the sideband
energy.  This would virtually guarantee that less than 1% of the signal
energy was outside the 500 Hz bandwidth, given that the 150 bps is worse
case for 100% alternating "1"s and "0"s

.

Actually, if you are primarily talking about live-typed
keyboard-to-keyboard chat rather than automated bulk data transfer, a
more spectrally-efficient mode for transmitting APRS text strings would
be to dispense with AX.25 packet format entirely, and use some form of
PHASE-shift keying such as  QPSK31 or PSK62.  (In my opinion, standard
PSK31 is just too impossibly slow to be practical for 50-100 character
APRS strings.)

APRS is saddled with the AX.25 packet infrastructure, with it's
simple-but-inefficient FSK modulation, mainly because at the time of
it's birth around 20 years ago, packet was the most widely-used data
mode among hams. Packet TNCs were widely available, especially after the
Internet killed off the ham packet "craze" of the 1980s, starting in the
early '90s.  Even in multi-mode "data controllers" like PK-232s and
KAMS, all the modes offered (RTTY, PACKET, AMTOR,  PACTOR,  etc) were
based on simple FSK transmission, just with varying bit rates and
handshaking schemes.

APRS was conceived of as a way to implement a "one-to-many" data
broadcast mode, using the beacon function of old packet TNCs.

In turn, the simple AFSK or FSK modulation used was based on the Bell
201/202  300 and1200-baud wireline modem standards (and chipsets) of the
1970s!   Remember, this was the era of dedicated HARDWARE, before the
explosion of cheap computing power (and computer soundcards used as DSP
systems) allowed more advanced and efficient modulation schemes to be
easily implemented purely in software.

Some evidence of the type of computing power commonly present in ham
shacks at the birth and heyday of packet remains in the KPC3+
instruction manual to this day.  Many pages in the manual are still
devoted to cable diagrams and info to connect the TNC to Commodore 64s,
Apple IIs and Radio Shack TRS-80s!

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net