[aprssig] APRS Bandwidth

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 23 21:42:26 EDT 2009

I never considered that this can be analyzed either as FM or AM.
What Steve S. has is completely correct except for the fact that the modulation won't be square waves limited by the transceiver.  At least it shouldn't be or rather needn't be.  Only the first set if sidebands should be needed (and are in the calculation).
The SSB transmitter would allow more (>500 Hz.) if a real square wave is used.

Thinking about it, I don't think FSK teletype does any band limiting (at least it didn't when I was doing it), but just switches between the two frequencies, therefore taking more BW than ncessary.

I wonder what modern transceivers do that have FSK.

73, Steve, K9DCI