[aprssig] APRS Bandwidth

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jun 23 11:55:09 EDT 2009

Agree completely with Keith.  We began the APRS channel on 30m back in 1983 with the Vic-20/C64 BBS/gateway system and then it evolved to APRS, but from day one, there was never any desire for digipeaters.  They consume bandwidth and jam the channel, block others that cannot hear it.

As keith says, the number one goal of any HF station should be to be a gateway for all signals heard.  This makes the APRS 30m channel be one of the largest spacial-diversity reception systems on HF.  If any station anywhere decodes the signal and injects it into the APRS-IS, then the probability is very much higher than conventional point-to-point communications.

With APRS HF gateways there is a path open somewhere sometimes most of the time.

A concomitant problem thought is how to handle 2-way igates.  Generally, they are discouraged, because they cannot tell which one can hear the mobile or remote station best, and so if even two of them TX at the same time, there is a collision and the link fails.  THere could be an IGate negotiation algorithm, but none of the IGate code has implemented anything to resolve this problem.

Unlike VHF, there is no FM capture effect, and so we must avoid collisions on HF.

This includes prohibiting Digipeaters on HF.

I admit that I have not listened to the load on the 30m channel recently, but the propogation model on HF has not changed.

Enjoy...
Bob, Wb4APR
Bob, WB4APR