[aprssig] APRS Bandwidth

Chris Moulding chrism at crosscountrywireless.net
Tue Jun 23 08:08:07 EDT 2009

Hi Jim,

I've "made" some time to work this out. I've changed some of the symbols
to fit with the email format.

Carson's Rule states that 98% of the power of a frequency modulated
signal lies within a bandwidth Bt where:

Bt = 2 ( pF + Fm)

where:

Bt = bandwidth

pF = peak deviation of the instantaneous frequency F(t) from the centre
frequency Fc

Fm = modulating frequency

Entering numbers for 300 bd gives:

pF = 100 Hz (half 200 Hz frequency shift)

Fm = 300 Hz (300 baud data rate)

This gives:

Bt = 2 ( 100 + 300)

= 800 Hz

That doesn't look too good if the RSGB want 500 Hz maximum! If anyone
has more time than I have at present please feel free to pick holes in
my calcs!

73,

Chris, G4HYG

Chris Moulding
Cross Country Wireless (2009) Ltd
7 Thirlmere Grove, Bolton, Lancs, BL4 0QB, UK
Tel/fax: +44(0)1204 410626
Mobile:  +44(0)7752 391908
Website: http://www.crosscountrywireless.net
Company number 6780346 registered in England and Wales