[aprssig] Simplest P-n-P APRS WX stn

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Jun 22 07:29:47 EDT 2009

The only problem I recall with the Peet Bros. systems was a number of
complaints that the anemometry tended to fail sooner than the Davis
systems.  Since few weather hobbyists tend to maintain their stations
until frank failure, reduced quality wind data are an issue.  Losing
low-amplitude wind information can be detrimental.

The Davis stations are reputed to have better bearings, and better
protected bearings, and somewhat stouter plastic on the vane and cups.

There are a number of low-end professional stations coming up these
days, but they're almost all as, or more expensive than the Davis
Vantage Pro 2.  I'll try to assemble a list over the next couple of days
and send it out here.  The main benefits of these derive from sonic
anemometers that need to be carefully aligned to north, but which have
no moving parts, and require maintenance and calibration much less
frequently.

Nothing's been done to reduce the effects of squirrels on wires, or for
that matter, wasps or bird droppings on rain gauges...

gerry n5jxs