[aprssig] Latest XASTIR Distro from Damn Small Linux?

Ray Wells vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Jun 8 17:39:24 EDT 2009

Jason,

To install a single package you don't need iso's.

Being that it is based on Debian, I would expect DSL to use the Debian
(.deb) package installer dpkg. Note that the installer is different from
package managers such as Synaptic and Apt which are frond-ends for
dselect, Debian's somewhat awkward and confusing package manager (which
is why there are front-ends :-) ). Download the .deb package for your
hardware. For i386 systems it's ..

    xastir_1.9.2-2.1_i386.deb

You install it with dpkg -i <complete_package_name.deb>

However, I would still run through the lists of dependencies listed on
http://packages.debian.org/stable/hamradio/xastir to see if you have, or
have an appropriate version of each other package that's needed to
install xastir. Be warned that upgrading one package to suit xastir's
requirements may cause dependency issues with other programs already
installed. If you upgrade A, existing program B might also need
upgrading but that depends on you upgrading C. It can become a snowball
and you can end up with a broken system. Unless you are VERY experienced
with Debian it's worth leaving individual package upgrades alone, in my
experience, having been caught many years ago.

If you go ahead and install the package with dpkg and there are
dependency issues the, installation will exit with error messages
regarding those dependencies, but you won't break anything. I would
almost expect to see some dependency errors based on my findings re
different package versions between vanilla Debian and Kubuntu, for
example. Not all package distributors travel at the same speed. FWIW,
vanilla Debian lags Kubuntu for package currency.

Ray vk2tv
Not a Debian expert, just a Looong time user (since 1992) with
occasionally burnt fingers.