[aprssig] what is "testCHO" station

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Jun 7 10:18:40 EDT 2009

On Jun 7, 2009, at 8:53 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> Looks like someone (possibly N9ZLI-1 or KG4IJB-3) is testing some
> APRS server and neglected to configure it properly.

I'm guessing you picked those two callsigns because they appear in the
path, like these

testCHO>APD225,TCPIP*,qAI,testCHO,KG4IJB-3,FIRST,findu:!
3802.21NI07830.61W& APRS Server
testCHO>APD225,TCPIP*,qAI,testCHO,N9ZLI-1,FIRST,findu:!
3802.21NI07830.61W& APRS Server

These calls are APRS IS hubs, they are simply the place where the
packets are entering the APRS IS. These hams are no more likely to be
the ones owning this than any other APRS user.

On the other hand, using the near.cgi

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/near.cgi?call=TESTCHO

shows the position is the same as N9TN-1.  This is who is likely to be
operating the station.

 From the raw packets seen, there is no evidence this is anything
other than an internet only station. It could be, with dup checking
removing the RF packets. There is no proof either way. If it is
internet only, then there is nothing improper about how the station is
configured. Many internet only stations operate under an alias only.
If it is transmitting on RF, it could be set up to produce a beacon
under the user's call, in which case it would not appear in the raw
packet listing. This would also be perfectly legal.

The APRS Internet System was never designed to be an enforcement or
propagation tool, so drawing conclusions about the network
configuration or legality are simply not possible.

Steve K4HG

PS Or maybe it is not N9TN. Just I was about to hit send the position
on this station was changed to coincide with W5CDN-15, so who knows...

Steve K4HG