[aprssig] Moving area

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 19:46:29 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Matt Murphy<matt.kc8bew at gmail.com> wrote:
> I will be participating in a county-wide disaster drill this month.  Is
> there a way to plot a moving area instead of a point?

Use APRS multiline objects.  As an example NWS storm plots are
routinely injected into the APRS-IS and gated locally, so storm areas
are outlined.  The outline is relative to the object, so it will move
as the object moves.

You'll have to move it, either manually or with a script of some sort.

Since gas will expand, your script could even enlarge the area as time
progresses.

I know xastir handles these objects; not sure about other APRS apps.
(check Curt's client comparison chart here:
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer/aprs_capabilities.html )

Clients that can't display the polygons (e.g. D700) should still plot
the object itself, which would ideally be the center of it (or most
affected area, etc).

http://pages.swcp.com/~russo/APRS_Multiline_Protocol.html

-Jason
kg4wsv