[aprssig] UI-VIEW tcp/ip only question

Rusty Bryant rustyb78 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 5 14:59:21 EDT 2009

I got it figured out.

Thanks everyone!!!!

Rusty

Sent from my iPhone 3G

On Jun 5, 2009, at 2:03 PM, "Tim Cunningham" <tim_cunningham at charter.net> wrote:

We had a local user connected to Internet only this past week trying to send messages and ACK's from UI-View32 to RF stations. The data would not pass from Internet to RF or it certainly would not ACK any RF station sending a message to it. When they changed the TCPIP entry in their path to APRS, it allowed their messages to be sent as well as acknowledge those sent to it from the Internet to RF. It seems something blocked the TCPIP path but passed the APRS path. They did not try a blank entry in this case as the APRS TOCALL in the path worked the first time when changed from the TCPIP entry.

Messages sent from this user from Internet to Internet stations worked fine with the TCPIP entry in the path, but it would not make the journey when they sent messages to an RF station until TCPIP was changed to APRS.

IGate designs are supposed to block RF sending stations that have TCPIP, TCPXX, NOGATE, or RFONLY in the header (last 2 are optional). On the other hand, it is my understanding that IGates are suppose to block stations from Internet to RF if they contain TCPXX, NOGATE, or RFONLY in the header. I am referencing Pete, AE5PL's, APRS IGate Details on Gating Criteria and Paths.

The local user and the local IGate are both UI-View32 in this case. It seems that UI-View should have passed the TCPIP path entry from the end user. The data did not pass to RF until the user changed the path entry to APRS.

73's,
Tim - N8DEU

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rusty Bryant" <rustyb78 at yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 12:21 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] UI-VIEW tcp/ip only question

All the proper station info is entered. I can see my station it's just not going out to the Internet. And yes it's connected to the Internet and logged in to the aprs server.

Rusty

Sent from my iPhone 3G