[aprssig] UI-VIEW tcp/ip only question

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Jun 5 12:38:24 EDT 2009

Rusty WB4BSD wrote...

> explain the "populated" statement.

I belive that Andrew was referring to entering your callsign in the
station setup. You must enter a lat / long in the station setup, but if
you also have a GPS connected and enabled, UI-View will use that
position. By "passcode" he was probably referring to the APRS validation
number entered in the APRS server setup.

> no path entered defaults to a path of APRS.

The "APRS" should remain. It's actually the destination. UI-View32 v
2.03 will translate that to APU25N before it is transmitted... via RF or
TCPIP. If you were on RF, the actual digi path would be like
"APRS,WIDE2-1".

Andrew said...

> Set your internet tx time to 60 minutes. There should be no path

There's no need to have the "Internet" beacon rate set at 60 minutes. On
RF, bandwidth is precious. Reasonable beacon rates should be used. Via
TCPIP, why not set it to every 10 minutes? You aren't going to overwhelm
whatever server you are connected to by firing a beacon off every 10
minutes.

If you do enter a path, it won't hurt anything. It just won't do
anything unless you connect a radio and TNC. You had said earlier...

> I am currently away from my home station
> where I run UI-View32. I do have it installed on my laptop which
> I have with me. I am connected to an APRS server and am receiving
> packets, however I am not able to transmit packets back through the
> internet. I have no radio attached and just want to be able to
> transmit over the internet. What should my unproto path be to
> allow for this?

You should leave "APRS" entered there, but no path is needed after that
if you aren't on RF.

What SSID are you using on the laptop?

http://aprs.fi/?call=WB4BSD-1
[APU25N via TCPXX*,qAX,Core-2]
June 188 2008 it didn't have a validated connection. The "TCPXX" tells
us that.

http://aprs.fi/?call=WB4BSD-6
[IBCNU via TCPIP*,qAC,T2DC]
WB4BSD-6 does have a validated connection but it doesn't appear to be
UI-View.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH