[aprssig] USNS and APRS

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 1 09:00:27 EDT 2009

> Let's say that I use the B0 format to specify 10 discrete
> positions.  Let's say 100 people show up to my event.  Does
> the software dither the positions slightly, or does everyone
> at a particular location "stack up" on top of one another?

In a proper APRS system, each of those positions will have a
position ambiguity appropriate to the application.  If the
ambiguity is .1 mile, then a proper APRS implementation will
plot them all within about .1 mile of the indicated position
randomly with the indication of ".1" mile ambiguity so they will
all be splattered around the position so that they are all more
or less distinguishible.

However, most follow-on APRS systems did not implement any of
the original "position ambiguity" display features and so in
those simplistic systems, they will all stack andyou will only
see the top one.

Good luck.

Bob, WB4aPR

> Wes
>

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 06:02, Bob Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>
wrote:

> 	>Bob, any thoughts on using USNG with APRSTT?
>

> 	The beauty of APRStt is that it is a LOCAL system,
> SIMPLEX rnage only from the sender.  Thus, each APRStt is set
> up to match the needs of its users (usually one club) and
> this is independent of how APRStt might be used somewhere
else.