[aprssig] open vs. closed in ham radio (was: Is WXSVRPermanently Defunct???)

kc2lsb kc2lsb at arrl.net
Wed Jul 29 23:24:43 EDT 2009

> What I really don't understand is why the author wouldn't want to
> release it, when he's been providing the service to the community
> anyway.  And this is what others have been saying - not that they have
> a right, or even that the author should release it; they, like me,
> wonder: why wouldn't he?

Because if he no longer wants to be bothered with it, for whatever the
reason, then the only way to do that is to just turn it off.  If he hands it
to others he will still be requested to support it to some degree, even if
that support is emails and/or phone calls asking how this or that works.  I
have developed software for over 30 years.  I have turned over systems to
others and left projects, and still get calls, sometimes years later on how
something works or how to fix a severe issue they run into, etc.  The only
way to make it all stop is to not give it out and just shut it down.  If
that was his goal, then that is your answer.