[aprssig] Is WXSVR Permanently Defunct???

Tyler Allison tyler at allisonhouse.com
Wed Jul 29 13:14:55 EDT 2009

> Opens a whole new perspective, doesn't it? People are motivated to
> do things for different reasons. Someone couldn't believe that I provided
> a service to hams all over the world without charging anyone.

On the same lines...I run/built SpotterNetwork.org. I got a call from a
lawyer (don't ask) and the conversation went something like this:

Lawyer: "So how much do you make on the SN?"
Me: "Nothing"
Lawyer: "No seriously, how much to people pay you to use it"
Me: "Nothing. It's a hobby for me"
Lawyer: <long pause>
Me: I pay for it out of my own pocket. I want folks to use it to help the
community.
Lawyer: "but...<stutter>....Free isn't a business model"
Me: "You know...sometimes people do things because they think it's the
right thing to do, not because it makes them money".
Lawyer: <long pause>

Confuses the hell out of people.

-Tyler