[aprssig] requesting icons

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 29 09:12:01 EDT 2009

The icon set is officially in the hands of the APRS working group, but
these days that essentially means Bob. There are two problems with
assignment of new icons.

First, there are very few unassigned icons, so any assignment must be
of something of near universal interest to APRS. Second even if an
assignment is made it is not a magic pronouncement. Icons are not sent
on the air, but are stored in every program and device. The icon set
on dozens of different clients need to be updated (some never will be)
and users need to install the new program. Hardware devices like the
Kenwood radios likely will never get updated.

Steve K4HG