[aprssig] APRS and UHF voice

Dave Baxter dave at uk-ar.co.uk
Wed Jul 29 05:51:03 EDT 2009

Indeed, it's suprising how far UHF goes, even under "flat" conditions.

Notwthstanding the contest operation I've been involved with in the
past, there is a customer I visit on a regular basis here in the UK,
where in the past (before they started to use modern "digial" radios)
the security guards had a regular unofficial sked most mornings with
"other people" in Germany!

That started when they asked me one day, if hearing "German voices" from
their handies when patroling one part of the site early in the mornings
was "normal".  (They knew I was into Ham Radio, as I always had to
surender my rig to them on entry to the site, getting it back OK, when I
left later.)  I explained a bit about a posible propagation method, and
jokingly suggested they call back and see if the Germans can hear
them...

The next thing I hear some weeks later, was that it was indeed a two way
thing, and so reliable that it resulted in later years with face to face
social visits being made both ways!  They were using 5W UHF handhelds,
what the radio was in Germany, I (and they) dont know, maybe a private
site repeater?

That in turn I've been told, threw up some interesting coincidental
stories regarding the past uses of the sites at both ends of the RF
link!

The security radios at that UK site are now the new fangled digital
types, that dont work reliably from one side to the other of the site,
let alone anywhere outside it.  The phone has taken over for the German
link...

Cheers All..

Dave G0WBX.