[aprssig] SURREALISM IN EVERYDAY LIFE: Blind Faith In GPS Causing Problems

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Jul 29 03:57:20 EDT 2009

Blind faith in GPS-prompted driving instructions seems to be causing
numerous problems in the U.K.

 From BBC News UK Website:

Sat nav misdirects football fans
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/6049586.stm>

*Out-of-date satellite navigation systems are directing fans and players
to Swansea's old football ground, the club has said.

*Caravanners in fix blame sat-nav
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/north_west/5072450.stm>

*Satellite navigation systems are being blamed for caravanners  [RV'ers
in the colonies] getting stuck in a narrow lane in a Gwynedd village.

*Sat-nav blamed for village jams
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/gloucestershire/4781350.stm>

*Satellite navigation systems are being blamed for directing thousands
of cars through a quiet Somerset village.

*Sat nav driver's car hit by train
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/6646331.stm>

*A 20-year-old student's car was wrecked by a train after she followed
her sat nav system onto a railway track. *"I put my complete trust in
the sat nav and it led me right into the path of a speeding train," she
said.

Sat nav error puts an end to trip
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/hampshire/6483383.stm>

*A group of children had to abandon a school trip before even arriving -
after a driver followed his satellite navigation to the wrong destination.

*Sat-nav dead end at crematorium
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/south_west/7624893.stm>

*Giant lorries heading towards a town's main industrial plants are being
directed by satellite navigation to the local crematorium instead.

*Sat nav leaves cheese truck stuck
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/mid_/5234396.stm>

*A driver whose cheese lorry was stuck down a narrow farm track in a
village has blamed his satellite navigation system for giving him wrong
directions.

**

*