[aprssig] Digipeater Hick-up - KPC3+ Goes Deaf?

Chuck Kimball n0nhj at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 27 23:53:00 EDT 2009

Anyone else experience a problem where the KPC3+ appears to go deaf?

I've had a couple of instances where a digipeater appears to go deaf.
Saw it last summer, so I replaced the TNC, and it seemed to be fine for
quite a
while (Until the antenna got damaged) during the winter.
When the antenna repair was made, it was thought that the digi was not
working.
Brought down, was fine on the bench, went back up on the Mountain,
worked fine
for the past 10 weeks or so, and then I noticed tonight that there were
people in the
area but nothing passed by the digi.    Checking - it looks like it's
been deaf for the
past week.  Nothing passed by that digi.

Trying some troubleshooting, I tried a remote connection to it, and it's
too far away to
get reliable path from home, but did get a challenge password.  That
indicated that it
wasn't the receiver, and the digi was hearing.  Never got a prompt back
(too far away)
but, shortly after that it did pass a couple of packets from other
stations.

During the week it was transmitting fine, and all the expected id's and
power telemetry
packets went out.

I think I was seeing something similar with another a similar TNC once
before on
another station.  It was being used as an Igate, so in the nightly
restart of UI-View
I added a reset to the TNC and that resolved the problem.

I've got a dozen digis out, and have only seen this at the one site (2
TNCs now),
and possibly one other site.     Most of my sites are high altitude, and
Colorado does
get quite a bit of Lighting.

The digi in question is KENDAL  and is at 13,010' AMSL.  (I'll be hiking
in the site
the end of next week, so I'd like to make any changes to take with me then).

Any Thoughts?   Anyone seen anything similar with the KPC3+?

Thanks
Chuck   n0nhj