[aprssig] NE Illinois Balloon Tracks

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sat Jul 25 00:01:07 EDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Steve Dimse wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Rick Green wrote:
>
>> I believe that a digi should be filtered so that it will digi only packets
>> which originated within its defined 'service area', no matter what path was
>> requested.
>
> This is not an appropriate solution. When a distant ham sends a message to a
> local ham, the IGate sends the message along with the most recent position of
> the distant ham. These packets MUST be digied to the local area, even though
> they did not originate locally.
>
> There are many other examples, e.g. weather warnings, that do not originate
> locally but which should be digipeated. You are suggesting using a nuclear
> bomb to kill an ant! The solution is far worse than the problem...

   Well, actually, I consider the entire 'messaging' part of APRS to be
totally broken and an inappropriate waste of bandwidth.  I won't digi
message packets, even if they originate locally.

APRS is a broadcast telemetry protocol.  Any attempt to graft a
point-to-point message onto a broadcast protocol is like carrying on a
private conversation with bullhorns.  I won't do it.

--
Rick Green

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009