[aprssig] NE Illinois Balloon Tracks

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Jul 24 16:27:43 EDT 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:22 AM, Rick Green wrote:

> I believe that a digi should be filtered so that it will digi only
> packets which originated within its defined 'service area', no
> matter what path was requested.

This is not an appropriate solution. When a distant ham sends a
message to a local ham, the IGate sends the message along with the
most recent position of the distant ham. These packets MUST be digied
to the local area, even though they did not originate locally.

There are many other examples, e.g. weather warnings, that do not
originate locally but which should be digipeated. You are suggesting
using a nuclear bomb to kill an ant! The solution is far worse than
the problem...

Steve K4HG