[aprssig] NE Illinois Balloon Tracks

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jul 24 16:08:52 EDT 2009

>> I believe that a digi should be filtered
>> so that it will digi only packets which
>> originated within its defined 'service area',
>> no matter what path was requested.

Rather absurd for most digipeaters.  In the footprint of most
that I see that would limit APRS to about 1 or 2 home stations
and an occasional mobile.  Reducing the map display from a
hundred or so down to a half dozen would surely bore even the
most avid shack-potato and kill APRS..

But you are absolutely right about some high density places...
And those are ALREADY configured that way.  They are
enforced-one-hop areas where there are more than a hundred or so
in each footprint..  The LA basin, and a few others.

See http://aprs.org/fixingLA.html

Simply configure any digi to enforce one-hop only, and you get
much less channel loading, yet can support thte large number of
users in the footprint.

Bob, Wb4APR