[aprssig] NE Illinois Balloon Tracks

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Fri Jul 24 11:22:46 EDT 2009

On Fri, 24 Jul 2009, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> For these and many other reasons, a multi-hop path is VITAL for
> payload recovery.  Our teams have experienced all of these situations.

   This doesn't follow.  Anywhewre east of the Mississippi, the density of
igates is such that if you hit even one digi, you're going to make it to
the aprs-is

> Not all trackers are capable of profile switching, to change a
> multi-hop path for a direct path and back.
   The balloonists need to be elmered in the direction of those trackers
that do support scripted profile switching...  It sounds like tempers are
flaring, and arrogance levels are rising on both sides.  As fellow hams,
we need to work together to find a means to accomplish the task with the
minimum disruption to other users of the frequency...

> If digis are correctly configured, multi-hop related QRM should be
> minimized since they will all retransmit at the same time, to avoid
> ping-ponging.

   This is another situation where remote QRM would be eliminated if my
proposal for limiting digi's to a geographical 'service area' were
adopted.  I believe that a digi should be filtered so that it will digi
only packets which originated within its defined 'service area', no matter
what path was requested.  Put the onus on the local resident digi owner to
know the local network, Igate situation, geography, and traffic levels to
define an appropriate 'service area'.  The transient traveler, trucker,
balloon, etc. can't be expected to learn the local situation quickly
enough to respond appropriately.

--
Rick Green, N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009