[aprssig] EchoLink APRS-IS Ojbects Mothballed

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 23 17:38:02 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:

> This item-in-message has been on the requested-features list of
> APRS1.2 for about a year now..  It is the only reliable way to
> get a random remote OBJECT back through an Igate into a specific
> area.  www.aprs.org/aprs12.html

So Bob, you're tell me that if I end up doing an APRS message queriable
EchoLink server and if I generate Item-In-Message format responses, I
might be the first to actually use the feature?  Do you know if the
D7/D700 (both doubtful) or D710 (maybe?) or any other APRS client in the
world actually parses this correctly?  Any chance for an
Object-In-Message format using something other than the ) as the leading
character?  That way I could continue to keep the ddhhmmz timestamp of
last update from EchoLink in the object.

I'm even willing to sacrifice putting the <location> string at the end
of the message in order to make room for the {ack and message prefixing
overhead!

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Still hoping to find a use for the code!