[aprssig] Thinking Out Loud About... Digipeaters

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 23 15:24:25 EDT 2009

>> Plese consider using the TEMPn-N network for
>> temporary systems.  The value is that every
>> D700 in the country can be pre-configured to
>> support TEMPn-N digipeating and be left in
>> this configuration ALWAYS.  Thus, a TEMPn-N
>> network can be built as fast as the D700's
>> arrive on site.  always available without
>> causing any problems to the exsisting network
>> the other 99.9% of the time.
>> See www.aprs.org/TEMPn-N.html
>>
>> Spread the word.  EVERY D700 should set this
>> in his radio when he gets around to it...
** and leave it that way...

> We do not have more than a couple of people
> [with] D700/D710 radios.  We do have
> TNC-X/X-DIGI hardware that is typically
> only used when supporting special events. It
> seems like with the proper configurations...
> we could achieve the same advantages for both
> our event and the normal APRS infrastructure
> that may be in the area.

Yes.  It makes a nice pre-planned temporary system, into which
any mobile with an APRS digipeater radio can participate without
having to reconfigure....

Unless of course, you don't want every mobile to be a digi
(which can be the case in large conflaguratinos of mobiles all
in one area....  Then use something else.

Bob