[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 23 12:11:01 EDT 2009

Jason KG4WSV wrote:
> This could be a data source for individual hams, local igates, or
> filtered regional feeds (provided the data doesn't feed back into
> APRS-IS, not sure how that one works).

That last parenthetical is the one that has me wondering as well.  Once
an object gets transmitted over RF, it will be Digi'd and heard
elsewhere.  If another IGate receives it, it will gate back to the
APRS-IS server that it is connected to.  If this is another region or
worse, a direct connection to one of the central servers, the object has
made the leap from local to global once again.

Unless we invent some new kind of backward-compatible object definition
that doesn't gate to the Internet (EVER, not just via servers that
support the "magic" paths), I don't see a way to prevent this sort of
cross-contamination (if you want to call it that) traffic.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ