[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jul 23 11:45:57 EDT 2009

Pete said:
> I guess I am fully in the camp of "scuttle
> the idea of a central server doing it all"
> and approaching Jonathan about giving Link
> and Repeater operators the ability to send
> their "packet" to APRS-IS instead of or in
> addition to sending it to a TNC.

But I think that even if we had each echolink node source the
data, we would still have the same problem if this became
popular, 20,000 nodes putting out their object globally just so
that it could be seen locally via one local Igate.  I don't
think this solves the long range problem as APRS grows into an
info resource for the mobile.

Help me here.  Since the APRS-IS has achieved great progress by
the filltered feeds, and there are even regional feeds, and the
2-tier system, can you help me understand why we cannot have
regional filtered feeds.  I assume this will require new code,
since these filtered feeds still have to drink from the global
APRS-IS fire-hose, but why cannot these servers be modified so
that they can also SIP from only a subset of the central
Echolink location data and only serve that out on their regional
feed?

1) Lynn rewrites his code to run at each APRS-IS server that
implements a regional feed.
It downloads periodically the Echolink data and parses for nodes
in its region.

2) The server then only spews this subset oout on its regional
feed.

What would it take to do something like this?

Bob, Wb4APR