[aprssig] EchoLink APRS-IS Ojbects Mothballed

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 23 08:05:12 EDT 2009

APRS SIG,

While I thoroughly enjoyed the idea interchange and interactive design
effort yesterday in the attempt to bring EchoLink objects to the APRS
community (both -IS and RF), I regretfully conclude that it isn't
feasible with the proposed approach at the current time.

I have mothballed the source code that generated the objects (only 2
test objects were injected yesterday, one with bad supplied coordinate
and the other in my local area) and no others should be forthcoming from
my code.

I will continue to consider some of the suggestions like a queriable
message server and a dedicated method of delivering these objects
directly to interested IGate operators with minimal configuration
required on their part.

This has certainly been a learning experience for me.  For now, I'll go
back to passively monitoring the infrastructure and generating my usage
graphs like:

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/act24/Act-2009-07-22T00.00-2009-07-22T24.00-USA(4)-5.png
http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net.nyud.net/Tracking/act24/*

But for the immediate term, you'll find me at the top of Springer
Mountain GA this coming Sunday morning!

http://www.aprs.org/hamtrails/springer.html

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Fascinated by APRS Infrastructure

PS.  Mothballed - See "to mothball" at
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/mothball