[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson! -- Is there really any point to this ????

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Jul 23 03:13:45 EDT 2009

Cap Pennell wrote:
> Yes, yes, I know.  But I believe the numbers of transient mobile hams
> routinely reviewing their RF APRS displays for purposes of locating nearby
> Echolink stations which they will then utilize in unfamiliar territory will
> be just about the same number as that of APRS stations actually transmitting
> !x! or RFONLY (or using 9600baud for mobile APRS).  <grin>

I'd have to agree.

1)     I run a mobile laptop which makes the Echolink objects stand out
nicely when they are transmitted.  However, when I run the D700
standalone, I never notice or pay attention to messages on the D700
screen.   [In the Los Angeles area, the APRS activity is so fast and
continuous that nothing stays on the screen for more than about 3
seconds max.

2)     I have been beaconing the presence of my RF-link Echolink node
here in one of the most radio-saturated areas in the country (Los
Angeles).  I beacon on a single-hop path that uses the actual callsign
of a single digi  (N6EX-3) whose coverage  is approximately the same as
mine (the Pasadena/San Gabriel Valley area).  This avoids setting off
the other 4 or 5 high-level digis that ring the greater L.A. area within
earshot of my home station that cover areas far beyond the range of my
node.

In two years of announcing my Echolink node in this environment, I have
had exactly ONE user discover it via APRS.  I HAVE had numerous users
discover the node via the online listings at echolink.org , or by using
the CQ-equivalent random-connect feature of Echolink.

Again, this is in one of the highest density and most active APRS
environments in the country. If the probability here is essentially
zero, it is definitely going to be even less elsewhere.......

3)     The same goes for the automated APRS announcements generated by
UI-Event that I send out for four monthly club meetings and two
swapmeets in the area each month.  [ send each one starting at 3:00 PM
the day before the event and repeat it every half-hour until about 8:30
the night of the event.  I figure that this gives the event exposure
during two afternoon drive time periods and one morning drive time
period before the meeting.

I have been doing this for a year now, and have not yet had a SINGLE
attendee at one of these events discover it via the APRS announcements.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

JavAPRS Filter Port 14580 Guide