[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Wed Jul 22 22:30:26 EDT 2009

On Jul 22, 2009, at 10:15 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> Actually, there is a difference here.  When an EchoLink node dies,
> the APRS-IS feed will automatically quit sending the objects and it
> won't matter that the IGate operator is configured to get them to
> RF, they'll just quit.

Let's back up. Are we agreed the point here is to get the beacon to
RF? If so, do you understand that in order for something on the APRS
IS to be gated to RF, the IGate operator MUST manually enter the
callsign of the blessed station or object?

So if I add a new echolink node, it will not appear on RF until the
local IGate operator finds out about it, and manually edits his
configuration file.

Yes, you are right that if we choose not to clutter the APRS IS, the
data will not reflect the changing status of the node, but with
proposals for updates once every 10 minutes or 1 hour, it is not
exactly like we are talking about real time information.

> To address that manual configuration issue, I"m trying to figure out
> if it'd be possible to build a javAPRSsrvr adjunct to make the
> gating from IS to RF automatic based on the position of the IGate
> and the position/range of the EchoLink object.

Only for an IGate running javAPRServ. I run a very old version of that
program on findU, perhaps the new versions are capable of being
IGates, I'm sure Pete will help me out on this. Even if it is capable,
the majority of IGates are client programs like WinAPRS and UIView, or
aprsd. These require the operator to manually configure the blessed
station list. Nothing javAPRServ could do would control the output of
these IGates.

This is not a bug. An IGate operator is responsible for everything
sent out on its transmitter, to pass off automatic control is not
something I would ever want to see!

Steve K4HG