[aprssig] Throttleing EchoLink Objects

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Jul 22 19:21:02 EDT 2009

Here is an idea for throttleing the EchoLink objects:

Looking at the PHG data from the Echolink server, probably 80% of the Nodes have a PHG under 50 feet.  A home link-L station with only a HAAT of 40 feet is going to be useless to a mobile operator because it is not there but for 8 minutes max as he drives by at 70 MPH.  (I am guessing, but can work this up later)

And the probability that a mobile is in range of a node goes up as the SQUARE Of the HAAT.  So one that is at 160 feet will be 16 times more accessible. and the mobile will be in range of it long enough to make a QSO, even if its 10 minues before he sees it.

I am at home now and cannot easily look at the raw data, but I'd try this rule:

Anything above 100 gets 10 minute rate, everything else, hourly.

Now I konw this is kinda backwards, but  everything below 100 feet which has such a short range, there is no reasonable rate that will make it useful to the traveler, so we are only putting those out for LOCALS to build up their LOCAL visualization of their area.  They accumulate this over whatever time it takes.

So, What would that do to the data if we only did the 10 minute rate on the >100' HAAT stations?

Bob, Wb4APR

Bob, WB4APR