[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (fina?l)

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 18:47:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Jason KG4WSV<kg4wsv at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Tom Hayward<esarfl at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As I count now, there are about 35 full stream
>> clients connected to first.aprs.net,
>
> I counted 115, and third has a few more.  I didn't look at second.

Yes, you caught me. I only counted clients connected to port 10152 the
first time.

This time, I put FIRST's status page into a spreadsheet to get some
real data. I sorted by "Send bps". 84 clients are above 19000
bps--these have no filter string so I assume the full feed is around
20000 bps.

Anyway, 84 full feed clients. I'll do the math for 115 too.

Lynn's text file containing all of the example objects is 204KB.
Extreme-case, this is sent every 10 minutes (staggered, of course).
Google says this equates to 873MB/month (for each full feed):
http://www.google.com/search?q=%28%28204+KB+%2F+10+minutes%29%29+*+1+month

Multiply that by 84 or 115 clients, and it's an added 72GB or 98GB
respectively. Not quite 1TB.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%28%28204+KB+%2F+10+minutes%29%29+*+1+month+*+84

Again, these calculations are for the full Echolink object list every
10 minutes.

I doubt this would cripple the Core system. I think the value-added to
the local APRS operator is worth this cost. But that's just my
opinion, feel free to interpret these numbers how you like.

Tom KD7LXL