[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Wed Jul 22 17:56:55 EDT 2009

Jason KG4WSV wrote...

> IMO, this is something that should be handled at the local level,
> maybe between the echolink node operator and the local Igate operator.

If the IGate operator (or anyone else close to the EchoLink node)
generated a static object, it could go out on RF with a path of RFONLY
and it wouldn't even make it to the APRS-IS. However, it would be a
static object showing only the location, frequency, tone etc. and would
not include the actual status of the node.

In the case of IRLP nodes, the APRS status script (if installed by the
owner) runs right on the node itself. It goes out every X minutes via a
cron job, and whenever the node status changes. It's TCPIP only and up
to someone (usually but not necessarily the IGate operator) to gate it
to RF.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH