[aprssig] Danger Will Robinson!

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Jul 22 17:28:11 EDT 2009

Filter on the ToCall of APELNK if filtering was necessary.  That's, I
believe, one reason that Bob suggested a new value for that field.

I can be persuaded to change the ToCall to something like KJ4ERJ-EL (I
solicited good technical reasons), but threatening to torpedo the effort
by simply filtering it all out and stating that "it won't appear on
findu" is tantamount to "I'll take my ball and go home".

I understand the concerns, and would like to work with them.  I don't
see any need to store the object packets themselves, just the current
state of the station for visibility.  History of moving objects is
helpful.  Detailed history of stations that MIGHT change their status
(which I'm not even sure should be included other than on or off and
then only inject the On objects) within 2 or 3 hours in any given day
doesn't seem to have any benefit.

My plan was to evenly distribute the packets over 5 of the 10 minutes.
Distributing them over 60 of the 60 means that the final packet is 60
minutes old before even being published.  Not really helpful in my
book.  Distributing them over 15 of the 60 would seem to balance the
infrastructure load against the staleness of the data.  (I know, I could
always refresh the status from EchoLink at intervals and report selected
subsets over time, but I'm looking for simple here).

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Discussion, rather than threats, promotes progress