[aprssig] Gating Objects from Internet to RF (Really Final?)

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 22 17:05:54 EDT 2009

On Wed, 22 Jul 2009, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:

> See my detailed response to Steve on this issue.  Unless someone can come up
> with a good technical reason for not using the station's call, I'm going with
> it.

How about this:

1) Any station who is on both IRLP and APRS will have a problem.

2) Stations will see objects being posted with their callsign that
they did not post.  Bob already mentioned this one ("least
astonishment").

> I'm loath to use a non 1-15 SSID as the fromcall.  I know it is technically
> possible, but it can restrict others from possibly gating the packet directly
> to the RF rather that providing a full 3rd party packet wrapper which would
> be necessary for the -EL SSID suggested.

But...  When it gets gated to RF it will be in 3rd-party format
anyway, so this is a moot point.