[aprssig] FW: Echolink objects to APRS

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Jul 21 21:42:25 EDT 2009

Should EchoLink nodes be objects or items?  According to the 101 spec,
Objects are for things that move and Items are for inanimate things, but
mentions the word "occasionally".  Here's what one particular EchoLink
node would look like in either format:

;MB7IRD-L *220128z5145.39N/00058.79WrPHG2130 Reading 145.2375 118.8

)MB7IRD-L!5145.39N/00058.79WrPHG2130 Reading 145.2375 118.8

This was from the following XML status block (note that the <location>
doesn't exactly match the <freq> and <pl>):

<station>
<call>MB7IRD-L</call>
<location>Reading 145.2375 118.8</location>
<node>5816</node>
<lat>51.756500</lat>
<lon>-.979833</lon>
<freq>145.237</freq>
<pl>118</pl>
<power>4</power>
<haat>20</haat>
<gain>3</gain>
<directivity>0</directivity>
<status>N</status>
<status_comment>On  @0038</status_comment>
<last_update>07/22/2009 00:38</last_update>
</station>

On looking at this again, I suspect I should put the EchoLink node
number in the comment as well.  Right now I'm just pulling the
<location> value which doesn't help much for offline nodes.  They look
like (note the lack of helpfulness in the <location>):

<station>
<call>4Z4IZ-R</call>
<location>[offline]</location>
<node>169676</node>
<lat>32.709800</lat>
<lon>35.226500</lon>
<freq>145.500</freq>
<pl>91</pl>
<power>16</power>
<haat>640</haat>
<gain>4</gain>
<directivity>0</directivity>
<status>F</status>
<status_comment>Off @2159</status_comment>
<last_update>07/21/2009 20:56</last_update>
</station>

Finally, should I restrict it to only Online nodes?  And should I build
logic to Kill nodes that I notice transitioning from Online to Offline?
Or should I differentiate the status with a symbol (the current symbol
is /r for an Antenna)?  Or just let the object remain un-updated while
offline?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ