[aprssig] Appalachain Trail APRS event this weekend

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jul 21 16:40:11 EDT 2009

>> Nothing will appear on the APRS-IS
>> or internet, since this is an RF only
>> event.
>
> It seems like it's a shame to lose all
> the exposure and history by keeping it
> off the web.  Why not include special
> paths like AT2009,RFONLY so we can see
> what's happening?

I tried to think of a way to use the APRS-IS, but it just kept
coming back to the Risk for contaminating the event is too high.

We are using untraceable HOP7-7 packets, and so if anything got
into the APRS-IS and then back into the RF event, we would never
know if our packets were copmpromised.  Further, the APRS-IS is
useless at watching paths, so there seemed little value gained?

You can watch on the APRS-IS for some activity since most sites
will have a backup 144.39 station as well.

I am open to better ways for organizing and conducting the test
for next year.  Also, I think the west coasters should consider
a pacific crest or other long trail event too.  Though out
there, you can probably do Mexico to Canada in 7 hops!

Bob, Wb4APR