[aprssig] Echolink Expert needed

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jul 20 16:59:04 EDT 2009

Robert Bruninga wrote:
> Stephen...
>
> Yes, it implements it for a locl TNC, but it also injects a copy
> into the APRS-IS.  This is where we expected the majority of
> applications.  Then it is a NO-HARDWARE solution.
>
> All that has to be done is the local IGATE to add the object
> name of the local EchoLink nodes to his pass-to-RF list and
> done...
>
> Or at least that is how I thought it should work.  If it is not
> working tht way, the let me know and I will try to get it
> fixed..  Your feedback below is PERFECT! Thanks for the help.
>
> Bob, Wb4APR

It's not putting anything into the APRS-IS at all.   The configuration
dialog for APRS  in Echolink looks like this:

      <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/EcholLink-APRS.gif>

Note that there is absolutely no provision for specifying an APRS-IS
server address or login.   The APRS support is only RF-based.

The only Internet activity EchoLink does is phone home to it's own
indexing severs to report change of status of the nodes.   The current
status and nodes-online list is here:

     <http://echolink.org/logins.jsp>

[EchoLink is a peer-to-peer protocol, but in a manner similar to Bit
Torrrent or Skype, DOES use centralized servers to broker the initial
connection(s).

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net