[aprssig] Q: NOGATE Method(s) vs. !x!

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 19 12:53:23 EDT 2009

--- Heikki Hannikainen  wrote that:

> > Steve Dimse wrote:
> >> !x! was implemented as a ...way to ...
> >> opt out of having their positions stored on findU,

 and responded :
> I hadn't seen this in any of the specifications, so it's
> not implemented in aprs.fi yet. It seems useful, so I'll put
> it in the code now. ...

Steve, K9DCI responds:
I read Steve's post and will not refer to !x! in my Guide, but leave NOGATE/RFONLY.  The !x! appears to be little known and obscure to remember.  It hardly seems good to have except that it is a little easier to turn on and off in the D700 compared to modifying the Path.

Abruptly shifting OT, I refer to:
> That's *comment* string, not the *status* message.

  This highlights one of the many terminology problems present in APRS literature [if that's what you can call it].

The D700 Manual has:
Position Comment [Menu 3-6] which is the three bit canned thing that, in my opinion, would be better called simply "status".
Status Text [Menu 3-9] which is the optional free-form text sent at the Status Rate {Menu 3-A] which seems like a Position, or Beacon Comment.
Kenwood's are clearly inappropiate choices of words.  None-the-less, they are there. (havent looked at the 710 manual)

The spec has:
Mic-E message ID (pg45).  The three bit canned Position/beacon status.
Mic-E Status Text (pg54). Optional text in the X.25 Information field.
Comment Field (pg20) which is also in the Information Field.

Hessu, you refer to the "comment string" and "status message"

Not to mention what all the countless Web pages out there say.

There may be more similar terms in the spec, but you should get my point.  Inconsistent terminology is confusing for the beginner, not to mention me after 6-8 years of fooling with APRS.

To be honest, I don't know which of the last two spec items is the D700 "Status Text" - and don't need to, with only a D700/D7.

Please save your fingers.  There's no need to explain it to me here; I won't remember it anyway.

My intent in writing a Beginner Guide is to cut through this type of thing to help others as I needed help moons ago.  That's why I asked the original question.

>... our server-side software can
> conveniently drop the position packet if !x! is seen

As they say, Your Call.

73, Steve, K9DCI