[aprssig] Q: NOGATE Method(s)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sat Jul 18 12:47:49 EDT 2009

!x! was implemented as a shorthand for the internet standard

x-no-archive

which is an optional tag which is supposed to prevent long term
storage of an email (often ignored). I implemented it in findU many
years ago as a way to allow hams to opt out of having their positions
stored on findU, while allowing full use of APRS and the APRS Internet
System. I added !x! in order to allow mic-e users to add it to their
comment text and still leave room for other text. I do not know if
other internet databases like aprs.fi, and openaprs implement it.

I strongly object to using this same feature to prevent a packet from
appearing on the APRS Internet System. No IGate software should be
filtering on this. Years ago we settled on NOGATE and RFONLY as the
ways to prevent packets from appearing on the APRS IS.

Steve K4HG