[aprssig] LINUX apps

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 20:52:51 EDT 2009

> You how linux is an operating system, and then you run or make applications.
>
> How do you go about making essentially an embeded application for linux ?
>
> Like say an aprs display for your car that fires up each time and goes full
> screen ?
>
> I have some groovey web based displays I have been making, but I am curious
> now how to make them embeded ?
>
> Andrew VK4TEC

I think what you're missing here is nomenclature. Linux is just the
operating system, meaning it handles the interface between software
and hardware. It sounds like what you want is a customized window
manager. You can probably get the X Window System to launch your
application on boot. Google linux window managers--you may find a
solution.

Also check out OpenICE,
http://wiki.openice.org/index.php?title=Main_Page. You may be able to
use it as an easy starting point, saving yourself a lot of work.

73

Tom KD7LXL