[aprssig] New Hams... for APRS?

Bill V WA7NWP wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:55:48 EDT 2009

> One of these guys leaves tomorrow for a cross country trip
> driving his Solar Prius as a support vehicle for a $100,000
> TESLA electric car going coast-to-coast.  You can track him
> under the object name PHEV3A.  Currently, my tracker is on his
> vehicle, but he will switch to his call when it comes in next
> week.  The other is building a 3 wheel electric (enclosed)
> motorcycle kinda thingy called a BUG-E which will haul a solar
> trailer and try to also make a cross country trip soon.

Lets not forget how cool it is to include the simple battery telemetry
in a tracked vehicle like this.  It's very easy with a slightly hacked
KPC3 and I believe even easier with the Open Track hardware.

I'm about to do this on my 'other' car that just has a solar battery
trickle charger.  It would be oh so cool to see the state of the
battery and how the 40 ma trickle charge during the day affects it.

Also, for those that haven't checked lately - try the practice Tech
test at QRZ.com.  It's been redone to a simple operators exam and
should be easily passable by anybody motivated to get it.

73
Bill - WA7NWP