[aprssig] AT Golden Packet - TN / NC / VA

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Jul 11 00:23:11 EDT 2009

QST APRS operators in E-TN, SW-VA or W-NC:

We may need a new volunteer on Roan Mountain.

The present team (a club) made the mistake of asking for permission to do an "event", and may be embrolied in bureaucracy or have to pay a $100 "event" application fee.  This may be a dead end.

BUT this is -not- an event in the sense that the park ranger is interpreting it, it is ONE person, one car parked in a parking lot with a D700 mobile radio.  There is no way this is illegal or in any way impacting the park which has room for problaby 200 cars plus a half dozen buses!
 But I can see the hesitancy of the club to then go do it once they have opened pandoras box and been "denied" an "event"..

Even better, would be someone with a D700, and an 8 amp-hr battery to go hike 100 yards into the woods and put the radio at the highest point that is totally hidden by trees and not part of where the public goes.  Here is my latest post to the Roan Team: