[aprssig] D700 or D710 to Nuvi Waypoint Symbol Converter Module

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Jan 28 21:22:08 EST 2009

It'll get position and velocity data from any Fleet Management Interface
capable model that has the mini-USB style connector.  Electrically it'll
work with the 18-pin type too, but I haven't made up any of those yet.

Waypoint display has so far only worked right on the nuvi 350.  The nuvi
360 and a few others leave duplicates, and some just don't display
anything at all.

Garmin *tried* to add a POI function to FMI v2, but screwed it up pretty
badly.  On the 650, you can upload custom POIs ONCE, and then the file
is locked until you connect a PC and delete it.

If and when they do it right, I'll add support for other models to the
cable - the firmware is field-upgradeable, if you hook it up a a PC
serial port.

Here are the FMI-capable models:

http://www8.garmin.com/solutions/pnd/supportedproducts.jsp

Scott